The ERDT Scholarship is a prestigious program that provides financial assistance to graduate students in the Philippines pursuing advanced degrees in science and engineering. This article explores the benefits of the ERDT Scholarship and the opportunities it offers to qualified students.
What is the ERDT Scholarship?
The Engineering Research and Development for Technology (ERDT) Scholarship Program is a flagship program of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) that aims to address the shortage of highly qualified professionals in the field of science and engineering. It offers financial assistance to qualified graduate students pursuing advanced degrees in science and engineering disciplines in selected universities in the Philippines.
ERDT Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the ERDT Scholarship, a student must:
- be a Filipino citizen;
- have earned a Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering discipline;
- be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a full-time student in a master’s or doctoral program in a science or engineering discipline;
- have a GWA of at least 2.0 or its equivalent in the undergraduate program;
- not be more than 45 years old at the time of application.
Benefits of the ERDT Scholarship
The ERDT Scholarship provides the following benefits to qualified students:
- Full tuition and other school fees
- Monthly stipend of Php 18,000 for Master’s students and Php 30,000 for Doctoral students
- Book allowance of Php 10,000 per academic year
- Thesis/Dissertation support of Php 50,000 for Master’s students and Php 100,000 for Doctoral students
- Transportation allowance for attending conferences or research-related activities
Opportunities for ERDT Scholars
The ERDT Scholarship Program offers various opportunities for qualified students, including:
- Research Assistantship – ERDT Scholars may work as research assistants in research projects funded by ERDT or other agencies, providing them with hands-on research experience and exposure to cutting-edge research.
- Research Internship – ERDT Scholars may have the opportunity to work as research interns in local or international institutions, allowing them to gain exposure to different research cultures and methodologies.
- Conference Travel – ERDT Scholars may receive support to attend local or international conferences to present their research or participate in academic events, enabling them to expand their network and knowledge.
- Industry Immersion – ERDT Scholars may be invited to participate in industry immersion programs, providing them with practical experience in the industry and an opportunity to work on industry-relevant research projects.
- Mentorship – ERDT Scholars may be assigned mentors who can provide guidance and support in their academic and research endeavors.
ERDT Scholarship Application Process
The application process for the ERDT Scholarship involves the following steps:
- Submission of application documents, including transcript of records, diploma, and other relevant documents, to the ERDT office.
- Screening of applications based on eligibility criteria and academic qualifications.
- Administration of an aptitude test and interview to qualified applicants.
- Selection of scholars based on test and interview results.
The ERDT Scholarship is a valuable opportunity for Filipino students pursuing advanced degrees in science and engineering. It provides financial assistance and various opportunities for research and academic development. Eligible students should take advantage of this program to advance their academic and career goals.
- What disciplines are covered by the ERDT Scholarship? The ERDT Scholarship covers science and engineering disciplines, including but not limited to: Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communications Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Mining Engineering, and Physics.
- Is the ERDT Scholarship open to undergraduate students? No, the ERDT Scholarship is only available to graduate students pursuing advanced degrees in science
- How many slots are available for the ERDT Scholarship? The number of available slots for the ERDT Scholarship varies every year depending on the funding available.
- Can an ERDT Scholar pursue a degree in a different science or engineering discipline? No, an ERDT Scholar is expected to pursue a degree in the science or engineering discipline in which they earned their Bachelor’s degree.
- How long is the ERDT Scholarship valid for? The ERDT Scholarship is valid for two years for Master’s students and three years for Doctoral students, subject to academic performance and compliance with the terms and conditions of the scholarship.