Pursuing higher education can be a significant financial burden for many students, but scholarships can provide much-needed financial assistance. De La Salle University (DLSU), a leading university in the Philippines, offers various scholarship programs to help students achieve their academic dreams. In this article, we’ll provide you with a comprehensive guide to DLSU scholarships, including eligibility criteria, application process, and frequently asked questions.
1. Introduction to DLSU Scholarship
DLSU offers a wide range of scholarship programs to support students who are academically excellent or have significant achievements in sports, music, and other fields. These scholarships can cover tuition fees, living expenses, and other expenses related to the academic pursuit. DLSU scholarships are awarded based on merit and financial need.
2. Types of DLSU Scholarships
DLSU offers two types of scholarships: academic and non-academic scholarships.
DLSU offers academic scholarships to students who have excellent academic records. These scholarships include:
- Br. Andrew Gonzalez Academic Scholarship
- St. La Salle Financial Assistance Grant
- University Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Star Scholars Program
- Senior High School Merit Scholarship
DLSU also offers non-academic scholarships to students who have demonstrated significant achievements in sports, music, and other fields. These scholarships include:
- Athletes’ Assistance Program
- Cultural Arts Scholarship Program
- Leadership Scholarship Program
- Social Engagement Scholarship Program
3. Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for DLSU scholarships, students must meet certain academic and non-academic criteria. The eligibility criteria vary depending on the type of scholarship.
- Br. Andrew Gonzalez Academic Scholarship: Top 50 applicants who have a high school general weighted average (GWA) of 90% or above.
- St. La Salle Financial Assistance Grant: Students who are financially challenged and have a high school GWA of 85% or above.
- University Scholarship for Academic Excellence: Students who are among the top 10% of their graduating class and have a high school GWA of 90% or above.
- Star Scholars Program: Students who have a high school GWA of 92% or above and are from public schools.
- Senior High School Merit Scholarship: Students who have a senior high school GWA of 90% or above.
- Athletes’ Assistance Program: Athletes who have represented the country or their region in national or international competitions.
- Cultural Arts Scholarship Program: Students who have demonstrated significant achievements in music, dance, or theater.
- Leadership Scholarship Program: Students who have demonstrated leadership potential in school or community activities.
- Social Engagement Scholarship Program: Students who have demonstrated a commitment to social service and community development.
4. Application Process
The application process for DLSU scholarships varies depending on the type of scholarship. Generally, students must submit the following documents:
- Accomplished scholarship application form
- Certified true copy of high school report card
- Income tax return or certificate of tax exemption of parents or guardian
- Certificate of good moral character
- Supporting documents, such as certificates of achievement or participation
The application deadlines also vary depending on the scholarship. It’s important to note that some scholarships have an earlier deadline, so it’s best to check the DLSU website or contact the Office of Admissions and Scholarships for more information.
5. Selection Process
The selection process for DLSU scholarships is highly competitive and involves a rigorous evaluation of the applicants’ academic and non-academic achievements. The selection committee considers factors such as academic records, extracurricular activities, leadership potential, and community service.
For academic scholarships, the selection process involves a comprehensive evaluation of the applicants’ high school records, including their grades, class rank, and achievements in academic competitions. For non-academic scholarships, the selection committee evaluates the applicants’ achievements in sports, music, and other fields.
The selection committee also conducts interviews and tests to assess the applicants’ skills, knowledge, and potential. The final decision is based on a holistic assessment of the applicants’ qualifications and potential to succeed in their chosen field of study.
6. Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I apply for more than one scholarship at DLSU? Yes, you can apply for multiple scholarships, but you can only be awarded one scholarship.
- Can international students apply for DLSU scholarships? Yes, international students can apply for DLSU scholarships, but they must meet the eligibility criteria and follow the application process.
- Do I have to maintain a certain GPA to keep my scholarship? Yes, you must maintain a certain grade point average (GPA) to keep your scholarship. The specific GPA requirement varies depending on the scholarship.
- Can I apply for a scholarship after I enroll in DLSU? No, you must apply for a scholarship before enrolling in DLSU.
- Can I renew my scholarship every year? Yes, you can renew your scholarship every year, but you must meet the renewal criteria, which may include maintaining a certain GPA and participating in certain activities.
DLSU scholarships provide a valuable opportunity for students to pursue their academic and non-academic dreams. Whether you excel in academics, sports, music, or community service, there is a DLSU scholarship that can help you achieve your goals. To maximize your chances of getting a scholarship, be sure to check the eligibility criteria and application deadlines, and submit a complete and compelling application. Good luck!